Monday, February 22, 2010

eBay Bliss

I love eBay.Maybe you didn't know this about me.
I've been an eBay fanatic since early high school.
I have had 253 positive transactions on the amazing auction site!

Recently (as in the past few years) eBay has not had such great deals...
It has become more of a place to buy things at full price and then pay shipping on top of that, instead of just going to the store and getting what you want/need.

However, once in awhile you can still find a gem...
especially if something is spelling wrong or called the wrong name. :)

Way back over winter break, Marcus and I took a gander through the Gurnee Antique Mall up in...well...obviously, Gurnee. It was full of overpriced lovely items.

My favorite was this old vintage Sunbeam Mixmaster mixer...in (of all colors!) turquoise - my favorite!!! I am slowly but surely working on collecting all things vintage and white-and-turquoise for our kitchen at the house.

This mixer was something I had to have.
But, with a $125 pricetag, it was something to which my dearest (and oh, so wise) hubby said, "You can save up for it."

So, darn it, that's exactly what I did! I pinched my pennies and saved my dollars and as of Friday, February 19, I had $110 saved up. (My dad taught me the little tip that antique stores will always take 10% off items over $50, so I didn't worry about saving the whole $125). 

Knowing there was a risk that two months later my little old mixer would have been sold,  we traversed up to Gurnee anyway. It was our belated Valentine's getaway. 

Indeed, it had been sold.
However, I got these darling napkin gems, which I can't wait to put on our dining room table at the house.
Aren't they cute!?

But, wait, there's more!
I came home and did a little eBay-licious research.
I found the Mixmaster on eBay...with all the parts (the Gurnee one was missing one of the two bowls) and it WORKS (I didn't know if the Gurnee one worked) AND because its official Sunbeam color is "aqua blue' and this one was titled "Turquoise"....no suspecting vintage collecting eBay-er had stumbled upon it! (The others listed on eBay were quite pricey and all being bid on rapid-fast).

But don't you worry. I was the only bidder on this dandy and it only cost me $45. (Well, plus the $20 shipping, but still, I had saved up $110, so we were in good shape.)

(sorry the picture is blurry- i took it straight from eBay)

Now if it would only come in the mail!
I'm so excited!

2 comments:

The Hangs said...

wow you penny pincher!! :)
i don't have the patience to search ebay. (or the trust) maybe you'll have to show me the ropes when you come over. :)

Brandon Carleton said...

Hey! I dont care about a silly mixer but I took the picture you have as your header! bahahaha! (okay that mixer is pretty cool)